Saturday 18 January 2014

How to : Mixed Media Layout Tutorial

Hi All !! Shilpa here, with a Mixed Media Lay out and its tutorial. Hope you are liking our latest Challenge#23 -'Scarp your scraps'  by my very talented colleague Pooja.

New year and we are always tempted to buy new crafty products. I am renowned for not being able to throw the smallest scrap of paper away. There are so many ways to use those beautiful scraps right?  So here is my take on this fortnight challenge theme...



Since I knew I was going to share this project here on the Lulupu blog, I've taken the photos of each step to show what wonders you can make from Scraps!. 
Let's begin the fun...

Here you can see how I have arranged the scraps. always do hit and trial before you stick em all.



Then I decided to create a Balloon. I had first cut another piece with Hot Air Balloon shape. Then I cut curved patterns and glued. You can see those all are different and from scraps.



So I started off  with my Chipboard square piece which I use often !! I layered paper strips horizontally  and adhered them with Modge Podge


  Here, you will see thin  white layer on the base, that's Gesso. Gesso is a primer which is used in Artwork mostly in painting and mixed media. It gives strength to the base and options to play with lot of colour mediums.


Once the Gesso was dry, I took out my favourite shades of acrylic paints and Gelatos. I smugged the colours on all edges. So this is colour layering.


  Next step was to add texture with stamps and stencils. I used Ranger's black Archivel Ink, Adirondak inks, beautiful Kaiserkraft texture stamps, Crafters Workshop stencils and Studio Calico Masks from Lulupu. I used markers and Gelly roll pens too.

I ended up putting a lot. And eventually I wound up with a background I liked!
I did  the same procedure with Balloon.
And when I put together background piece, balloon and words, Voila !



Such fun and easy to make, isn't it ? I hope you enjoyed the tutorial. So, share with us what you make with your leftovers.
 Some of you might be new to Mixed Media, if you've any questions about this project, add them below in comments, I'll be happy to answer them.
And entries for 'Scrap your scrap' challenge will end on Jan, 31st.

Our Creat a Calendar Challenge is still open till 20th Jan, so you've time to make one and win Rs.500 Gift Voucher from Lulupu Store.

Happy crafting friends !!


Materials used :


8 comments:

  1. What wonderful use of scarps Shilpa! loved the result! thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is quite new to me and I have never tried anything like this because I never really understood how the layering is done. Thanks Shilpa for being a help previously and here too you have done a fantastic job with these scraps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing, Shilpa!!!! Mind-blowing... And the pun was intended! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uhhh-mazing project Shilpa :) I enjoyed your LO a lot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing project! And I just love the detailed explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so bright and beautiful! Love it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! U make it look so easy. I've never attempted a project like this but feeling motivated to after going thru you tut. Thank u :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful!! I'm not ready to get my fingers dirty :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and feedback.