Friday 24 April 2015

Watercolour Card - Masking Technique

Hi Friends,

Karuna here. I know am posting after a real long time but I just had to participate in this months fun Challenge to use water colour!

Water Colors

I am totally addicted with the possibilities you have using this awesome technique!

I so wanted to do a tutorial for you but with my busy schedule it just looked impossible. Nonetheless am going to help you through this masking technique that I have tried in my card below.


To begin with you must ensure you use a good quality watercolour paper to get the right result. I have used Brusto 300 gsm watercolor paper.

To get the fine white borders, i stuck my paper on a mdf/thick cardboard and lined washi tape to all the edges carefully. This will also help to hold the paper flat while you are working on wet and dry techniques.

For the masking technique I used a mix of various stamp sets to create a flower bouquet look. Here are the stamp sets


You can also choose the mediums to colour your images. Dont be limited with just plain old watercolours. I used a mix of Lindys Stamp gang sprays, distress stain and colorshine mists too!


Now to creates a masking effect all you need to do is plan backwards. Here is how!


  1. That is what would be the first image and images that will be hidden behind. In my card i kept the butterfly as the focal image and the flower and leaves behind. 
  2. The trick is to first stamp the butterfly image with a archival ink as you will be using water. I used coffee archival ink as i wanted a subtle outline.
  3. Next stamp the same image on a post it note and fussy cut it. Stick this on top of the image on your card. 
  4. Now you can stamp the background flowers without worrying to stamp on the butterfly! 
  5. So go ahead and use post it notes, stamping and fussy cut to create further background layers.
  6. Now the fun part! Use various mediums to create layers of colours. I love using my Koi Water Brush to pick colours from mist bottles directly. you can see the shimmer from the lindys starbust sprays too.
Here is the close up of the final image.


Then I have just heat set the card. Now I didnt like the plain old background so i added a little of a brown tone from my lindys collection which was very very diluted to tone the whites. This also uplifted the white border. I finished my card with a nice sentiment and some sugar dots! And to complete it i created a matching envelope using my WRMK Envelope Punch Board.



I hope you enjoyed this quick post and do join us for this months challenge!

As I sign off here's another card i made earlier last month!


Cheers!

Supplies from Lulupu.com Store.



7 comments:

  1. Glad to see a post by you Karuna ! I loved both the cards,wonderful masking nd the matching envelope is very nice , a special touch !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of the cards are wonderful and stunning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both cards are beautiful..n matching envelope is superb ...TFS this wonderful technique !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely cards Karuna!!!! Loved the matching envelope and TFS this wonderful technique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both your cards are superb. Love the co-ordinating envelope you have made. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cards Karuna! Awesome results with the masking technique! Loved the sentiments on both the cards!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, awesome creations!! loved the masking technique and the other one needs no praising. It's full of rainbowy colors!! Loved loved loved them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and feedback.