Friday 10 April 2015

2 watercolour cards and a Tutorial

Hello friends,

Congratulations to all the winners from last month's challenge.
I hope we are able to inspire all our readers to join this month's challenge too
 
Lulupu Challenge #48

Cards are not really my forte and neither are watercolours, so I was nervous at first, but both turned out to be so addictive, couldn't stop once the ideas started flowing.

Today, I have two cards and pictorials to share. The first one is my favourite technique, that I use often on mixed media layouts while creating backgrounds. The same technique turned out quite good even on a card. The base is a watercolour paper, with embossing paste applied through a stencil. Before applying any colour, ensure the base is completely dry.
 Now starts the interesting part - dab some paint onto a piece of plastic - I've used the cover of a stamp set. Press the paint side down on the watercolour paper and lightly guide the paint with your fingers. After two applications, the card looked like picture 2. Start with a small dab of dilute paint and build up layers ensuring each layer dries completely unless you want the colours to mix. The speed at which you apply the plastic, the amount of paint and water will all give different splatter effects.
 
Then I used the same magenta paint but with lesser water, giving a more intense colour. Finally some light peach. The 'hello' is also painted with several coats of the same magenta colour.To finish off the card, I've used some thread and sequins and edged the card with dilute paint using a waterbrush.
 
 
 
After this card, I decided to be a little more adventurous and step outside my comfort zone and try something new - traditional watercolour painting. The base for my experiment this time is a piece of Prima patter paper with a light coat of gesso. If you don't gesso, paper will soak the paint and it wont spread. Once completely dry, I drew some macaroons (yummy) using watercolour pencils.

 
Then using a waterbrush, went over the drawing, like magic, the lines will melt into paint and start to spread wherever your brush goes. Its so easy to clean a waterbrush too, just touch the tip to a tissue till the colour soaks off, or brush it over a scrap paper a few times till all the paint runs out. After going over all the drawings, add some shading with the same colour paints and some splatters. My favourite part was painting the creamy macaroon fillings. To finish, I tried lettering with the thinnest brush I had - this was the most challenging part of the card. As you can see, the oo in the macaroons bled out, the base wasn't completely dry.


For all those watercolour beginners (and experts 😊) out there, I hope you feel inspired to try the techniques shared by me and the other DT. There are many mediums you can use - paints, watercolour pencils, distress inks even gelatos and there is still plenty of time left to create and link your creation here.
------------------------------------------------------------

5 comments:

  1. Yes definitely, you guys inspire us a lot. Kripa, card making might not be your forte but you totally nailed it! I loved how you stencilled the embossing paste and water colored over it. Awesome cards! :)
    Suchi xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOw..Your cards have turned out Wonderful Kripa ! loved the abstract coloring on first one and traditional on second one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome cards Kripa.......thats for introducing m to the first technique - must try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The amazing blogs the Craft very and beautiful then another gifts product on Return Gifts | Indian Gift Shop Online

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo goody Macaroons!!! I wish I could have a bite!! :) They sure look awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and feedback.